Saturday, September 04, 2010

On politically motivated work


Cinematographer / director Haskell Wexler, on being asked whether his films are always 'politically motivated':

Well, I'd have to address myself to the phrase, 'politically motivated'. I mean suppose a guy says, 'I make films where I make the best bucks, I make films where they pay me most, I'm most interested in entertainment and screw all this ideology stuff.' Now you couldn't find a stronger political statement than that, yet no one says that's a political statement. Whereas if I say, 'I make films that I feel are positive human statements that enlighten or enlarge man's view of life and of the earth and of one another', well that becomes a political statement. Now that's because our culture has adapted itself to accept consumerism, to accept the profit motive, to accept the personal selfish attitude as 'nonpolitical'...
-- quoted in Schaefer & Salvato, Masters of Light: Conversations with Contemporary Cinematographers (University of California P., 1984), p251

1 comment:

TS said...

Back of the net. Ta for sharing.