Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Advent Calendar: Day 16

December 16th: Christmas Rapping



With its preponderance of bling, chemically-enhanced kicking back (brandy butter is a drug too, y'all) and any number of ho-ho-ho's, it's no wonder that Christmas is so warmly embraced by hip-hop culture. So today here are four tracks in that intoxicating spirit.

As usual, I find myself suffering paroxysms of embarrassment at the very idea of writing about rap and hip-hop. As a 36-year-old white middle-class gay male living as a left-leaning atheist ex-Quaker in a predominantly Hasidic neighbourhood in Stoke Newington, it is very hard for me to express even a sincere interest in anything more urban than The Guillemots without feeling like the most preposterous twit. So I'll leave you to discover today's pleasures for yourself: though I will say two things: that I really like the chronological arrangement of these tracks, and the really strong sense you get of the different generations; and that, out of all the songs I've listened to in preparing this Advent Calendar -- and for every song I've posted there are (almost unbelievably, I know) another ten that I've heard and rejected -- none has made me smile more broadly or experience the joy of the season more abundantly than Eazy-E's 'Merry Muthafuckin' Xmas'.

So, have a nice muthafuckin' day, and I'll see you bright and early tomorrow. xx


Track listing:
1 Kurtis Blow: Christmas Rappin'
2 Run-D.M.C.: Christmas Is
3 Easy-E: Merry Muthafuckin' Xmas
4 Snoop Dogg feat. Nate Dogg: Twas the Night Before Christmas
& an outro message from Kanye West





No comments: